PONDING CONSIDERATIONS IN BUILDINGS

Flat roofs on which water may accumulate may require analysis to ensure that they are stable under ponding conditions. A flat roof may be considered stable and an analysis does not need to be made if both of the following two equations are satisfied:

C p + 0.9 C s £ 0.25

I d ³ 25S 4 / 10 6

Where C p = 32 L s L 4 p / 10 7 I p

C s = 32 SL 4 s / 10 7 s

L p = length, ft (m), of primary member or girder

L s = length, ft (m), of secondary member or purlin

S = spacing, ft (m), of secondary members

I p = moment of inertia of primary member, in 4

(mm 4 )

I s = moment of inertia of secondary member, in 4

(mm 4 )

I d = moment of inertia of steel deck supported on secondary members, in 4 /ft (mm 4 /m)

For trusses and other open-web members, I s should be decreased 15 percent. The total bending stress due to dead loads, gravity live loads, and ponding should not exceed 0.80F y , where F y is the minimum specified yield stress for the steel.

No comments: