Statics & Strength of Materials

Topic 5.7a - Problem Assignment 5 - Beam Selection/Design

For the loaded beams shown:
A. Determine the support reactions.
B. Make Shear Force and Bending Moment diagrams for each beam.
C. Select the best I-Beam & Best T-Beam to use
D. For the selected Beam, determine the Maximum Shear Stress and see if it is with in the allowable shear stress.

For all the beams use:
Allowable Tensile Stress = 20,000 psi., Allowable Compressive Stress = 25,000 psi., Allowable Shear Stress = 15,000 psi

1 (Minimum Section Modulus = 2.7 in3, bottom of beam in tension, best I-beam, T-beam depends on beam table used)

2. (Minimum Section Modulus = 36 in3, bottom of beam in tension, best I-beam, T-beam depends on beam table used)

3. (Minimum Section Modulus = 14.4 in3, bottom of beam in tension, best I-beam, T-beam depends on beam table used)

4. (Minimum Section Modulus = 72 in3 for I-Beam; = 58.6 in3 for T-Beam; bottom of beam in compression, best I-beam, T-beam depends on beam table used)

5. (Minimum Section Modulus = 45 in3 for I-Beam; = 36 in3 for T-Beam; bottom of beam in compression, best I-beam, T-beam depends on beam table used)

No comments: